Pregnant. Bleeding and pus coming from infected teeth. Will it cause any harm to child?

May 2013
I am 35 weeks Preg and have an infection Around molar dentist says to leave alone (sees nothing on X-ray ) there is some bleeding and pus around neck pf tooth im getting a csec at 39 weeks can this harm my baby in the 3.6 weeks I need to wait I also took 2 courses of clindamycin didn't really help
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

-if your infection cured completely with the course of antibiotics used it is good,

-but if you are still having the infection and related features like pain and fever etc,
then better to consult doctor once again as,
infection in the body associated with inflammatory signs and fever etc can lead to premature contractions of uterus leading to preterm labor
and also it can affect the health of the baby,

-normally after stopping antibiotics the symptoms will subside in one or two days,

-if you are still having pain and pus discharge you explain to your dentist that you are not completely cured of symptoms and ask if it is better to use different antibiotics,
if your doctor suggests you can go for culture and sensitivity of the pus and decide antibiotics depending on that.

if you develop pain abdomen etc features consult your gynecologist immediately,
this is not to frighten you just telling as a precautionary measure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Bleeding and pus coming from infected teeth. Will it cause any harm to child? 5 hours later
Hi I'm very worried iv been to see 2 dentists 2 endodontists they did the X-ray saw nothing really - I begged for antibiotic So 1 gave me antibiotic then with a strep I took same medication but stronger dose 2 weeks later still same results - I'm not in pain just nervous cause I know there's an infection in the gum around molar - iv already had a difficult root canal on the tooth do redoing a rtc isn't an option a d dentist doesn't want to needlessly extract tooth - so plan was for md to use warm salt water rinses - so can this type of issue since there's nothing visible on an X-ray harm my baby in the next 4 weeks I'm not worried about preterm labor as I'm almost 36w just worried that it will hurt baby ,
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

you should not use antibiotics that too higher doses without doctor's prescription,

anyhow as you completed 2 doses of antibiotics,
dentists said that there is nothing to worry,
and you are not having pain
better you just continue with salt water rinses hopefully it will decrease the problem,

if there is no infection as told by all of your doctors then no need to worry,
excessive worry can affect your health and baby health,
so you just leave this and follow with rinses,
problem may subside in next 3 to 4 days probably.
take help of your family members in dealing with this problem and to get relief from anxiety.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.