Pregnant. Avoid foods like Black grapes and Mangoes?

Ayurveda Specialist
I’m 18 weeks pregnant. I have heard from many people that pregnant women should avoid certain types of foods like Black grapes and Mangoes because they generate heat in the body. Is that true?

I know that pregnant women should avoid certain foods.. Especially soft cheeses, excess of pineapples on account of the bromelain content, “raw” Papayas, seafood high in mercury, raw/undercooked or contaminated meat/fish/eggs, Liver and Cod liver oil because of the high Vitamin 'A' content, excess of Caffeine, and Fruits and salads exposed open for long (Could contain listeria). This is what people abroad avoid as well.

But I have never, ever heard of mangoes and black grapes and some other foods like chicken with masala, eggs etc. I’m having black raising daily as they are high in iron. I’m having mangoes as well. Does that mean I have harmed the baby now?

I was born and brought up in Germany and I have never heard of hot and cold foods? My husband is a physician himself and he told me that this is an Ayurveda Principle and I don’t need to worry about that. Is that true? Can I have black grapes and Mangoes? Are they safe during pregnancy?
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 22 hours later
Ayurveda is basically ras based science. There are six ras [tastes] XXXXXXX amal, lavan, katu, tikat, kashaya. There can be one or more than one even upto five tastes in any herb or consumable thing. The things we look are ras, gun, virya, vipak.

ras stands for taste
gun stands to say if it is light or heavy to eat etc
virya is whether the effect is hot or cold
vipak means whether effect after digestion is hot or cold.

Majority of things which are sweet in taste and have cold effect act as body tonics.

The two things you are talking about are sheet virya, which means they are cold so they will not threaten your pregnancy.

Raw mango has different properties and is not advised in raw form.
When the pulp is cooked and sugar and salt is added to it this becomes a medicine as preventive measure from heat stroke.

In addition to this ayurveda lays emphasis on dose of the thing to be taken and has three divisions as----- heen [too little ]----------- mithya [improper dose} -----------ati yog [ excessive] The only recommendation is XXXXXXX yog [ normal dose ] . Excess of everything is bad.

So, in your case mango or grapes taken within limits is not going to harm you or your baby.

The normal dose varies from person to person, depending upon individual bal-- abal [strength] or digestive status.

So, have no worries, enjoy your pregnancy period, eat healthy, and be healthy.

Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul