Pregnant, Anomaly scan was done which showed anterior placenta which is jelly like. Any complication?

Mar 2016

Hi, I am 20 weeks pregnant.. Anomaly scan was done 2 days back for me. The report says baby is fine structurally and functionally. Baby's heart beat,movements are also normal. But the report says I have a low lying anterior placenta which is jelly like. So I was suggested to go for a growth scan at 28 weeks. Jelly like placenta causes any complications going forward to the baby? Will it become normal if I take some rest and care?
Please let me know.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Jelly like placenta has adverse outcome.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Health Care Magic. I am giving answers one by one so that you can properly understand the current situation.

1) Low lying placenta is seen in some percentage of women at 16 to 20 weeks through ultrasound scan but jelly like structure is much uncommon. It is mostly associated with adverse outcome like Intrauterine Growth Retardation (IUGR), Intrauterine Fetal Demise (IUFD) or problem in neonatal or perinatal period.

It is seen that over the time (during 3rd trimester), as uterus is enlarged, the lower part of the uterus also grows and stretches, taking the placenta with it to move upwards in most of the cases. Though, placenta doesn’t move up with the uterus in 0.5 to 1% of cases and antepartum hemorrhage (like placenta previa), HELLP syndrome, Pre-eclampsia (hypertension) may develop in early to late 3rd trimester with related risk to baby.

In this circumstance, close monitoring and bed rest is mandatory. Here, I also suggest you to undergo next ultrasound scan or growth scan on scheduled time (at 28 weeks) to check the placental status and fetal well being.

If there is same picture, you will most probably be put on complete bed rest to avoid risk of bleeding. Then you will have to do another ultrasound scan after 32 weeks to see if the placenta has moved away from the cervical os or not.

You need to consult with your obstetrician for proper management if any type of complication arises. Urgent caesarean section may need to carry out for saving the baby after 34 weeks if placenta previa or fetal distress develops as the end result.

2) Bed rest and proper care have only supportive role to reduce the risk of fetal and maternal risk. However, it does not eliminate related complication if occurs.

As per present ultrasound scan, baby's well being including fetal heart rate is normal. So, you would hope for positive things and do periodic scan.

In addition, you must take protein XXXXXXX diet, L-arginine supplements (to avoid IUGR), iron and calcium tabs, drink more water or fruit juice, proper bed rest, avoid long journey or heavy work and maintain genital hygiene.

Hope, I have answered your query with my experience. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through