Pregnant. Allergic to chicken. Having severe abdominal pain and chills. Food poisoning. Taking levisen and High dose of valium. Safe?

When I was 22 years old and pregnant with my daughter I became allergic to chicken and XXXXXXX ..then it went to bananas then certain raw vegetables. Just two days ago I ate raw zucchini and same reaction..Severe abdominal pain and chills that last about 24 hours.Then comes the diarrhea. As a nurse it reminds me of food poisoning.When I would end up in ER I was given levisen and High dose of valium to knock me out till it passed.What is the recommended tx for a reaction of this type? XXXXX
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer..viral gastroenteritis.
Detailed answer...

Normally such type of symptoms as you have described are due to viral gastroenteritis.Since most of the time,the food poisoning is viral,there is no need of any antibiotic.However sometimes this infection is bacterial in nature and in that case,an antibiotic course is required for the treatment.
Normally the viral gastroeneteritis gets all right in 5-7 days.But if symptoms are prolonged or if one gets blood in the stool,one must get a stool culture done to identify the bacteria and then take antibiotic accordingly.

Sometimes food poisoning can be due to protozoan infection like giardiasis or amoeabisis,but this generally happens in developing countries.

General treatment advised for viral gastroenteritis is...
Plenty of fluids orally.Rehydration is the most important part of treatment.
If a person is not able to take fluids orally,then intravenous fluids are given.
Antiemetics like dimenhydrinate or ondansetron can be given if there is repeated vomiting.
Anti spasmodics like levisen can be taken,if there is pain abdomen.

But make it a point,that if your symptoms are getting worse,then you must go to ER instead of self treatment.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck,
Follow-up: Pregnant. Allergic to chicken. Having severe abdominal pain and chills. Food poisoning. Taking levisen and High dose of valium. Safe? 31 hours later
It's an allergic reaction. I have already seen gastro and been through testing.I know it is not food poisoning. The reaction I have to chicken only reminds me of food poisoning. I am 57 and I have been allergic to chicken since I was 22. My question was, "What would be the best tx. for my reaction?" Severe abdominal pain is the worst of my symptoms.... And it is unbearable... So the answer was of no help, but thanks for responding.

I am sorry you did not understand my earlier reply. The treatment for such reaction is symptomatic, and that is what I have detailed to you.

For a mild spasmodic pain, one can take oral LEVSIN but for a severe pain, one has to take intravenous injection of an anti spasmodic medicine.

In such cases, the management is generally symptomatic only.