Pregnant. All my tests are fine. Is Rubella test/Torch test necessary?

Mar 2016

Hi, I am 20 weeks pregnant. All my tests are done and are fine. I got normal blood tests done, dual, quadruple tests, Level I, II ultrasounds.
I came to know from one of my cousins that Rubella test/Torch test should also be done in 1st trimester. I didn't get it done as my Gynae didn't suggest the same. Can I do it now. Not sure as the results can be misleading now. Pls. suggest
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can do TORCH test now.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Health Care Magic.

TORCH or Rubella test is basically a screening test which is done in early weeks of pregnancy, preferably in the first trimester so that early treatment should be started. It is a mandatory test if you are symptomatic now or have history of miscarriage in the past. Ig M type is more important to detect recent infection whether Ig G type detects past infection or vaccinated individual.

Next, TORCH infection is most commonly associated with 2nd trimester miscarriage. Therefore, you have to undergo this test in spite of normal other test result which you have done already. It can be done anytime in the pregnancy period to detect TORCH infection. It helps to clear doubt. Proper treatment can be made prior to delivery of the baby if positive result is detected.

Last thing, I can definitely tell you that chance of TORCH infection is quite low with normal blood test, QUAD test and ultrasound scan report. However, you must do the test to exclude least possible risk also. Kindly, do periodic check up to your obstetrician and continue prescribed medication.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen