Pregnant. Advised to take susten tablet. Is it safe, side effects?

Dear Doctor, My wife is 25 weeks pregent, my doctor has advised to take Susten 200 tablet for one month. Is it safe to consume it? Is there any side effect please explain me. Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

Susten contains micronized progesterone and is often prescribed in pregnancy to maintain pregnancy.But it is usually given in the first trimester. usually in early pregnancy till 12 weeks progesterone is produced by corpus luteum after which placenta takes over the responsibility of progesterone supply to the developing fetus. Once a placenta develops in pregnancy which is during the second trimester, additional progesterone is produced from it. This progesterone helps to protect the placenta through fighting off unwanted cells that might harm the placenta or fetus.

Serum progesterone levels have been noted to be decreased in intrauterine death, premature labor, threatened premature labor, premature rupture of the membranes, amnionitis and abruption of the placenta. Hence progesterone is important.

I suggest your wife to take it under her gynecologist’s supervision as usually it is taken only during the first trimester. One problem with this medicine is that female baby may suffer from hirsutism (unwanted hair on face, chest etc).

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.