Pregnancy was confirmed with ultrasound. Taking cytolog. No bleeding noticed after taking the medicines to terminate pregnancy. Cause?

Mar 2013
My wife had an ultrasound and she was confirmed pregnant. We visited a gynae and she asked her to take 2 Cytolog 200mg tablets each after 6 hours of interval. We were told that my wife would have bleeding and the pregnancy will be terminated.
But even after 3 days of taking Cytolog pills, there is no bleeding. Was the prescription correct, as i have read that before Cytolog some other Mifepristone tablet is to be taken.?
Please advice.
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Yes you are right.
Before taking the medicines of Misoprostol ( Cytolog ) for medical abortion, a single pill of Mifepristone tablet has to be taken.
It would help if you provide me the details of the ultrasound undergone by your wife, as it would tell me how many weeks she was pregnant.
If there is no bleeding after 3 days of taking Cytolog, please consult your gynecologist again, as repeat and more dosage of Cytolog would be required, and if medications fail, surgical abortion ( D and C ) could be required.
I can be more precise if you attach the report of the ultrasound scan.
All the best.
Waiting to hear from you
Follow-up: Pregnancy was confirmed with ultrasound. Taking cytolog. No bleeding noticed after taking the medicines to terminate pregnancy. Cause? 26 minutes later
Hello Dr.,

I have uploaded the Ultrasound report. Also, Dr. has not prescribed any Mifepristone tablet.
She just prescribed 2 Cytolog to be taken at 6 Hrs interval. When no bleeding happened till today, we visited her and she advised one more Cytolog pill and insisted on Surgical abortion. (which she has been insisting even before writing the medicines).
So, i doubt her prescription, but you are the best to judge.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the ultrasound scan.
Your wife appears to have had a missed abortion / incomplete abortion.
There was no fetal pole or yolk sac seen, and margins of the gestational sac were not regular.
This means that the pregnancy was not developing normally.
For such an indication, Mifepristone followed by Misoprostol ( conventional regimen ) is not advocated.
She has rightly prescribed Misoprostol for the same.
However, for such abortion, even surgical abortion outright is a good option because the dead tissue inside can cause infection.
If she does not respond to another dose of Misoprostol, please go for surgical evacuation.
The advice given to you is correct.