Pregnancy ultrasound showing fetus having white spot on heart and fluid around kidney. Diagnosed as Down's syndrome. Took Amniocentesis test. Advice?

Hi.. Im 18 weeks and 6 days pregnant.. i had a ultrasound today the doctor said my son has a white spot on his heart and there was alot fluid around his kidney.. She said she see that in babies with down syndrome.. Nobody in my family or in my husband family doesnt have it in their genes... but i took the Amniocentsis test... should i be worry and can it be possible my son can have down syndrome if its not our none of our family genes
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Down's syndrome can happen due to an advanced maternal age or a family history or genetic predisposition.
Most of the time, Down syndrome isn't inherited. It's caused by a mistake in cell division during the development of the egg, sperm or embryo.

Translocation Down syndrome is the only form of the disorder that can be passed from parent to child.
Advanced maternal age is the only known risk factor for Down syndrome. The older the woman is when she delivers the infant, the higher the chances of having a child with Down syndrome.

At age 25: the risk is 1 in 1,250

At age 30: the risk is 1 in 1000
The chances of having a down's syndrome child are there in your case. Amniocentesis results will help in proper diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.