Pregnancy ultrasound showing fetus having blockage in kidney. Surgery after delivery advised. How effective is the surgery?

Urologist
Question
Hi there,

My wife is 8 months pregnant (9th month going on). Recently she had unltrasound done, and it was observed that the child has blockage on one side in one kidney. The gynecologist said it might need a surgery after the delivery.

I would like to know how serious/dangerous this is, and how effective/critical the surgery is.

Also, we do have a surgeon in Bikaner where we are planing the delivery. Should I consider MUmbai in case the surgery needs better surgeons?

Also, can you recommend me some good hospitals/doctors in Mumbai? Someone asked me to consider Bombay Hospital.

Also, which specialist should I XXXXXXX for consultation?

Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I understand your query and concern.
This condition is due to narrow passage between the kidney and its tube.
It is a safe surgery and is performed in most hospitals. U need to consult Pediatric surgeon/pediatric urologist/urologist.
It is a treatable condition and there is nothing to worry. It is done to prevent damage to the kidney due to the block. I will be happy to give further input once u load the images of the scan.
Hope I answered. Kindly get back for doubts.
Dr G XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Pregnancy ultrasound showing fetus having blockage in kidney. Surgery after delivery advised. How effective is the surgery? 4 hours later
Hi there,

Please find the scanned copy of ultrasound.

I am actually concerned if I can opt for the delivery and surgery at Bikaner itself or should I think about Mumbai.

If Mumbai, then can you recommend me some hospital as I don't much about this area.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 9 hours later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Unfortunately i am not able to open the images.
Regarding the delivery, it is like any other delivery. It does not change depending on the kidney condition of the child.
Once the babby is born, it needs evaluation and surgery is usually not done immediately. So, u can think and decide.
So pls go ahead with the delivery at your place of choice.

Hope i answered, kindly get back for doubts, if any. If not, pls accept the answer.
Dr GS, Urologist

Follow-up: Pregnancy ultrasound showing fetus having blockage in kidney. Surgery after delivery advised. How effective is the surgery? 6 hours later
Can you suggest some hospitals in Mumbai as well. I know Hinduja hospital but not sure if the surgeons are very good or not.

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

I understand ur worry.
As i already wrote, it is not a very complex surgical procedure. It can be done relatively easily without much problem in most hospitals.
Relax and try to concentrate on safe delivery first. Child can be tackled once it is born.
All the best, regards
Dr GS, urologist.