Pregnancy ultrasound showing blighted ovum, poor decidual reaction, lag in gestational age. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Ultrasound Study for fetal well being
--------------------
A single gestational sab corresponding to gestational age of 6 weeks and 5 days (Acc. to G.S.D.) is seen in uterine cavity.
No node of cardiac activity is seen.
Decidual reaction is poor
Impression: BLIGHTED OVUM (MISSED ABORTION)
-------------------------------
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

your ultrasound report is showing,
-single gestational sac,
-according to gestational sac diameter(gsd), the gestational age is 6 weeks and 5 days.
according to your lmp for today it should be 8 weeks and 5 days.

as according to lmp there is 2 weeks lag in the growth,
in 6 weeks above gestation usually cardiac activity can be seen, here cardiac activity is absent
and poor decidual reaction is there,
all these are giving the possibilities of,
-blighted ovum-development of gestational sac with absence fetal pole,
-missed abortion-intrauterine death of fetus that is not followed by expulsion.

so now you consult gynecologist after confirmation with her advice you can tablets for expulsion of products of conception.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnancy ultrasound showing blighted ovum, poor decidual reaction, lag in gestational age. Should I be concerned? 21 hours later
Does it due to XXXXXXX problem? Or anything else? What is the main reason of it. How to take precaution to avoid it.

Thanx

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 25 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

Usually blighted ovum said to occur accidentally,
This may be because of,
-chromosomal abnormalities,
-trisomies of 16 and 22 are notified in some cases,
-or due to defect at the level of fertilization,
When fertilization occurs few cells will become fetus and other cells form placenta and membranes,
When the fetal cells won’t grow blighted ovum occurs.

There is no definitive measure to prevent it,
Some studies showing that progesterone supplementation can give benefit to some extent,
It usually may not repeat in next pregnancies but following fetal growth by ultrasound starting from early gestation is essential.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.