Pregnancy test was positive but US showed empty gestational sac and had red slippery discharge. What does it mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
hi Dr.
i missed my period , so i checked for pregnancy , i used preg. strips and it showed positive result, went to doctor and did ultrasound report showed early empty gestational sac of 7.5mm , now after 4 days a thick red slippery discharge came for only once, no further bleeding , what does it mean....
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Hi
You have not mentioned the dates of your menstrual cycles, So I have no idea how far your pregnancy is advanced.
The following possibilities exist -
1. A pregnancy, with mild red discharge - the pregnancy could continue normally. A follow up ultrasound will show you whether the pregnancy is growing normally. You should take rest, avoid stress and intercourse, and consult your gynecologist immediately for proper supportive pregnancy treatment.
2. A pregnancy which has miscarried - that also will show up on a repeat ultrasound.
Please write back with date of your period, date of ultrasound, and if possible please upload the exact report .
Take care, and looking forward to hearing from you.
All the best.

Follow-up: Pregnancy test was positive but US showed empty gestational sac and had red slippery discharge. What does it mean? 39 minutes later
i am feeling lower abdominal pinchs , pains at intervals, slight pains in my back also......... and my last period date was 18th XXXXXXX 2013...........

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Based on your last period date, if your periods were regular, you should be 7 weeks plus by now .
As per 7 weeks of pregnancy, the gestational sac should be more than 20 mm in diameter, while yours is only 7. 5 mm.
Also at 7 weeks, fetal pole should be seen with cardiac activity.
If review ultrasound shows the same picture, it means that the pregnancy is non viable and requires termination.
All the best.

Follow-up: Pregnancy test was positive but US showed empty gestational sac and had red slippery discharge. What does it mean? 8 hours later
should i be concerned about this, is this normal and can it effect my future conception chances................ any reasons why it happened, any explanation for that...................

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
A missed abortion is something that quite a few women go through.
While it is not normal, It does not affect your chances of future conception.
The causes are many.
IT is a structural ( genetic ) abnormality in the egg or the sperm or in the baby which is formed after meeting of the two.
It is not at all necessary that it should occur the next time.
It is just an aberration of nature, an accident.
However, if you have a D and C to terminate the pregnancy, make sure that the products of conception are sent for genetic and biopsy analysis.
All the best.