Pregnancy test positive,termination,mifepristone,misoprostol

my wife is 26yrs old and her weight is 44 kg .she does not have her periods this month and pregnency urine test is positive.we want to terminate it and doctor has recommended mifepristone along with misoprostol.she had ealrlier terminated earlier this year in march with same it safe to use it again.plz suggest i m in worry
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
Medical termination of pregnancy using Mifepristone is becoming common these days.Your wife used the same medicine just two months ago.
Mifepristone is a drug with long lasting effects and causes heavy and prolonged bleeding. Such frequent use of this drug might lead to menstrual irregularities and the bleeding might be heavier as compared to what happened in the previous abortion.
Do be careful to stop breast feeding and do not plan your next child at least for next six months as it increases the chances of missed abortion.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Pregnancy test positive,termination,mifepristone,misoprostol 45 minutes later
thank you
should we use mifepristone 200 mg alone or with the misoprostol 800 mcg
can mifepristone alone will do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Hi and thanks for writing again.

I hope you are planning this abortion under physical guidance of a gynecologist.

Mifepristone alone is not helpful as it causes only fetal detachment from the uterus. For expulsion of the products of conception from the uterus, misoprostol is needed. Misoprostol softens the cervix and opens it up.

"Both the drugs work best when used together and are taken as advised by your gynaecologist."

Wish you and your partner good health