Pregnancy test positive. Suggest ways to terminate pregnancy?

Gyanecologist: My wife's last period date is Aug 20 2013. She has missed her period in Sep. We have checked for pregnancy and kit says postiive. We need to terminate this ASAP. Kindly suggest
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Prasad 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to follow protocols for safe termination.

Detailed Answer:

Abortion and pregnancy termination attempts can be XXXXXXX and harmful if it isn't done systematically and without medical guidance.

If I were to be treating her, I would first get an ultrasound scan to rule out ectopic pregnancy. If an intrauterine pregnancy is confirmed then I administer 200mg of mifepristone orally followed by 800 mcg of misoprostol couple of days later. This course is generally sufficient to cause bleeding and complete abortion in the next 7-10 days. A repeat ultrasound scan is recommended a week after bleeding stops to confirm complete abortion. Should any products remain, I refer them to a gynecologist for dilatation and evacuation.

Since the whole process involves various medical observations, it is always recommended to perform medical termination under proper observation. I would urge you to see your local doctor/gynecologist and process the steps systematically.

As her last period was on 20th August, she is under 4 weeks of pregnancy. You have another 8 weeks to get this termination done. Medical laws of our country allows termination after 12 weeks only for special cases.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.