Pregnancy symptoms, back pain, bloating. Had period. HPT came negative. What is it?

Dear Doctor,
Please could you advise? I'm 36 and we are trying for a baby with my husband. My last 2 periods came after 29-30 days, over the last 8 months my cycles were between 24-30 days so this was not unusual but I bled less and only for 3.5 days rather than 4.5-5 days. Over the last 2-3 weeks I'm gradually getting more and more pregnancy symptoms. I feel sick not just in the morning but throughout the day, my breasts went up a cup size and they are very sensitive, I feel nauseous from certain scents that would not usually upset me, I have a lot of bloating and abdominal distension and in the last few days I have had lower abdominal pain and lower back pain too. Even my ribs hurt. If you take my last period into consideration, I'm on day 18. During this cycle I was using the Clearblue Digital Ovulation test to detect when I ovulate but it never detected an LH surge. A couple of my friends said they thought I could be pregnant but I did a hpt and it was negative (the test expired in Feb 2-2013 but I thought that would not make a difference - I got a negative line so the test worked?).
TBH I have done a fairly aggressive diet protocol in Nov / Dec to lose a stone for our wedding - I went down to under 10st (62.5kg) and I'm 1.80m tall. This protocol involves taking homeopathic hCG. I didn't keep the second part of the protocol (Christmas and it was difficult…) and I put the 1st back on, and I did the protocol with the homeopathic hCG again in January. This time I went down to 62kg (18.5% body fat) and then we went on our honeymoon and I put the weight back on again - I have gluten and lactose intolerance and it was very difficult because the locals didn't speak much English and it was difficult to communicate my intolerances. When we came back (after 3 weeks) I put the weight (1st) back on. In the last 5 weeks I have returned to my usual healthy eating habits (low GI, paleo) but I haven't lost any of the weight (my husband was worried about me wanting to do the hCG protocol again so I didn't do it again and just trying to eat healthy and exercise). I just have these symptoms of pregnancy but I had my periods and the hpt was negative. Do you have any advice for me on what this could be and what you recommend I do?

Many Thanks,

Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
False pregnancy, clinically termed pseudocyesis, is the belief that you are expecting a baby when you are not really carrying a child. People with pseudocyesis have many, if not all, symptoms of pregnancy -- with the exception of an actual fetus. This is a relatively common phenomenon.
Irregular cycles demand a critical evaluation especially if the irregularity is of acute onset, or associated to other symptoms. To me, weight management is mainly something that demands a good psychological state, nutrition and exercise. Most protocols that are used other than this either always are short lasting. costly for no just reason, have a very high rebound rate and are associated with numerous side effects especially in persons who take some drugs.

1. I suggest a proper consultation with an infertility specialist for a couple work up.
2. Be positive in thinking and hope. A cool psychological state on its own has positive outcomes in for pregnancy
3. Do enough and regular exercise, watch your diet
4. Consult an infertility specialist
5. Get an opinion of your nutritionist

Thanks and best regards,

Luchuo, MD.