Pregnancy, miscarriage, failed vasectomy, no scan taken post operation. Chances of conceiving again ?

Hi, my husband has a vasectomy in XXXXXXX 2009. We were told it was successful after he had given two samples. In April of this year (2011) we found out I was pregnant which was a huge surprise as you can imagine! Unfortunately we lost the baby shortly afterwards. This has however given us a different outlook on things and made us rethink our initial decision. The question I have for you is this....what are our chances of conceiving again? My husband has not been for scans so we do not know how he has joined up, whether just one tube or both. Will his sperm count be dramatically altered??

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 8 hours later

A spontaneous re-canalization of the vasdeferens after two years is unheard of. About one of every 4,000 vasectomies fails because the vas deferentia manage to reconnect—a failure rate of 0.025 percent. Much has not been studied on such kind of cases. So answers for your questions are not readily available. Hence chances of pregnancy cannot be predicted.

Generally it is said that the more is the time of obstruction the less are chances of sperm survival. We take that after 5 yrs of obstruction of vas deferens there is 85% chances of sperm survival and 60% after 10 years.

I say these figures when we get questions on Vasectomy re reversal. This way it has been only two years since the vasectomy done so there are good chances of sperm survival. A preliminary sperm analysis is required.

There is no need to have any scans to ascertain what, where and how it has joined up. In fact we do not recommend any test to check this. You need to get a semen analysis after 3 days of absistence and let me know of the results.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.