Pregnancy, gentle facial intense pulse light, two sessions. Safe to continue ?

Hi, I was told gentle facial IPL is safe during pregnancy and have thus far had two sessions (I think at 590 nanometers). I have since been told otherwise and despite my skin being fine, I am worried about harm to the baby? I am 27 weeks pregnant.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later

Thank you for the query.

IPL stands for Intense pulse light, a machine used for lot many things like hair reduction, rosacea, telengectasia, rejuvenation etc.

The results of this machine are very variable and is not my personal favorite for facial hair or any other purpose.We have Diode and ND:YAG Laser for the same which are far more effective.IPL is not considered as a laser either.

As far as safety of laser or an IPL during pregnancy is concerned, it has not been documented by any journal or any authority.

So it is better that we avoid lasers or IPL during pregnancy.

There are few doctors who still do it in the first trimester of pregnancy.

I suggest you to avoid it further to be on the safer side.

There are no reports of any teratogenecity seen with the use of lasers during pregnancy, but still it is not recommended.

Actually lasers or any IPL does not penetrate XXXXXXX in the skin, in-fact not more than the depth of the base of hair follicle and thus regarded more safe than getting even an x-ray.

I would advise you not to worry about what you have undergone till now.

I recommend you to wait till you have delivered .

Another reason for this would be that during pregnancy there are lot of hormonal changes which takes place which makes your face more sensitive to light and thus makes your face prone for pigmentation or melasma.

I hope this answers your query, if you have any further questions, kindly write back to us.

I would be happy to answer them.

Dr.Bharat chawda