Prediabetic. What remedy should be done?

Jan 2013

hello doctor,
i am a general physician in clinical research, aged 61yrs
my fasting sugar is 120mg and postprandial 136mg three days back; two years back fasting was 116mg and six months back 98mg
My query is am i prediabetic? and what remedial actions to be taken at this stage
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of prediabetes.
Normal fasting blood sugar is considered as 110 mg% according to WHO (world health organization) & 100 mg% according to ADA (american diabetic association).

Diabetes is considered when fasting blood sugar is > 126 mg% and postprandial sugar is > 200 mg%.

Prediabetes or impaired fasting glucose is a condition when fasting blood sugar is between 110-126 mg% according to WHO (world health organization) & 100 -126 mg% according to ADA (american diabetic association).

Although there is less risk of conversion of prediabetes to overt diabetes as compared to impaired glucose tolerance (postprandial blood sugar between 140-200 mg%) but still there is a 50% risk over 10 years of progressing to overt diabetes.

Although your other blood reports are in normal range, still you should keep your keen eyes on blood sugar regularly.

If you are overweight, then you should take Pioglitazone 15 mg once in a day on written prescription.
This medicine is found to be effective in Impaired fasting glucose and Impaired glucose tolerance.

You should continue telmisartan as suggested by your treating doctor.

ou can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Prediabetic. What remedy should be done? 25 hours later
Thanks doctor,

I am not that obese (may be somewhat overweight), shall I start pioglitazone. Or shall I wait for rechecking fasting glucose one more time. Will hemoglobin A1 c of any help. What goal should I keep (i.e.minimum maintenance of fasting sugar) once I start the medicine and can I stop the drug if I reach that level and likelihood of time for achieving that.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 41 minutes later
You can start Pioglitazone as it never cause hypoglycemia and you will be on beneficial side.
You should go for repeat blood sugar check up both fasting and postprandial on regular basis.
You fasting blood sugar should remain between 100-110 mg%.
Continuation or withdraw of any medication will depend on your body response in future.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava