Precribed Clopilet. Later suggested Disprin instead of Clopilet. Does prolonged usage of Clopilet, thinning of blood will be rapid?

Excellent

Question
Dear Dr.I have been precribed by my Doctor to taks daily one tablet of Clopilet 75mg , for my beginning stage of CVD. One of my friend is a nuro surgeon, who told me to take Disprin instead of Clopilet, since some of his
patients had Bleeding during Nuro Surgery. Even prolonged usage of Clopilet, thinning of blood will be rapid. Pl advice
XXXXX.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Disprin is the drug of first choice

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr. XXXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Forum.

I wish that you had given as much details as possible, regarding your Hypertension (duration, current medications); Angiogram findings; problems (IF ANY) due to CVD or Heart (if any); current medications; cholesterol levels. Additional information would have helped me greatly in assessing your present status.

However, if the CVD is at its initial stages and your angiogram was normal, there is NO requirement of either Disprin or Clopidogrel at this stage. Control of cholesterol levels, lifestyle modifications, avoidance of alcohol and smoking, balanced, fat-restricted diet; maintenance of body weight to BMI less than 25 and, regular physical exercises, would be adequate.

Routinely, as and when indicated, Disprin 75mg alone, is preferred as the first choice of blood thinners. Clopidogrel- under normal circumstances- is not given alone. Clopidogrel is ADDED to Disprin, ONLY in advanced/symptomatic cases of CVD or Coronary Artery Diseases.

Presence of mere hypertension with a controlled cholesterol levels, does NOT mandate use of Disprin.

Lastly, both : disprin and Clopidogrel lead to rapid thinning of blood.

Hope I have answered your queries. if you have any further clarifications, I will be happy to answer. If you so desire, you are welcome to provide me with the additional details as advised.

Fond regards,

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Precribed Clopilet. Later suggested Disprin instead of Clopilet. Does prolonged usage of Clopilet, thinning of blood will be rapid? 16 hours later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX Karanwal,
Thanks for your reply. As indicated by you, I will send you scanned copies of my last Angio report , Echo Cardiogram Report and Blood Lipoprofile Report.
Pl inform the mail id, for sending the reports.
Thanks and Regards.
XXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload your reports on this query page

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

There is a feature on the right side of this query page to upload the reports/images by yourself. You may want to utilize it.

Alternatively, you can mail me at YYYY@YYYY with subject line as " Attention to Dr. Rakesh Karaanwal".

Awaiting receipt of your reports.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Follow-up: Precribed Clopilet. Later suggested Disprin instead of Clopilet. Does prolonged usage of Clopilet, thinning of blood will be rapid? 57 minutes later
Kind Attn- Dr XXXXXXX Karanwal.

Dear Doctor,

As advised by you, I am sending my Medical reports. Pl give your second opinion
regarding dosages of medicines prescribed by Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX of KMCH. Coimbatore.
Since I am suffering from acidity problems, and digestion problems ( As I had undergone a surgery
during 2000 for removal of Gall Blader) can you suggest reduced, strength of dosages, I am
taking at present ?

With Regards,.

XXXXX

Brief Answer:
Triglyceride levels need to lowered further

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXX,

I have gone through your reports, all of which are normal, except for a mildly raised Triglyceride levels.

May I submit that it would be professionally unethical on my part to comment on your Cardiologist's opinion and prescription. Apparently, Clopidogrel was preferred over Disprin, in view of co-existing Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (which was not mentioned in your initial information).

Nevertheless, in the light of new information, I am in full agreement with your Cardiologist's prescription.

Further, in patients with Coronary Artery Disease, with hypertension as a co-morbidity, the general consensus amongst majority of Physicians and Cardiologists is that Triglycerides should ideally be less than 100mg%.

Hence, if I were your treating doctor, I would have advised you to switch over to Rosuvas-F (10/160) in place of Rasuvas, with the aim of lowering Triglycerides level to less than 100mg%. Please NOTE that it is my personal opinion.

You may therefore, discuss my views with your treating Cardiologist. He is the best judge of what would be best for you.

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal