Precautions that need to be taken while working with resin casting

The last three month I was working with casting resin and wasn't careful that means the ventilation wasn't proper my skin wasn't covered properly, now I got informed about the safety caution and I hope I'm healthy so I'm asking what should be the next step to make sure I'm healthy (since I got informed every thing is bothering me and I even don't know what to ask my doctor to check )
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Resin casting is a method of plastic casting where a mold is filled with a liquid synthetic resin, which then hardens.

Chemicals involved depends on weather plant resins or synthetic resins are involved. To name some synthetic resins polystyrene resin, polyurethane resin, epoxy resin, unsaturated polyester resin, acrylic resin and silicone resin. And so on...

Correct me, if I am not right.

Irrespective of the above-mentioned chemicals, there are some general principles to know that the health hazards of chemicals are more likely if:

1. Exposure to chemicals are for longer periods usually in terms of years (except acute effects that occur immediately, which have perhaps not occurred with you, as you do not report any symptoms, now, like change in skin color, cough, difficulty in breathing, decreased capacity to work, etc).

2. Intensity of exposure.

3. Concentration of chemicals.

4 Any associated medical conditions that can precipitate health hazards of chemicals.

5. Any previous history of exposure to industrial hazards.

6. Older age.

7. Continuous exposure without any " exposure free period ' etc.

I would suggest, think over these points and let me know the details.

Overall, on the surface, it does not seem to be a panic state. But also, usually every industry has a medical team attached to it. You can consult them and get yourself checked.

Sometimes, actually, no physical hazard has occurred, but the individual becomes more scary. In that case we need to look at the personality of the individual and to assess the other aspects of psychological state of the individual.

Wish you a worry-free and hazard-free life.

Hope I answered your query.

I am available for further discussion.

Follow-up: Precautions that need to be taken while working with resin casting 10 hours later
I'm really thankful for the answer you gave me. What do you mean by "having problem breathing"? the reason I got concerned at this point cuz currently I'm coughing and having lower back pain (this can be a common cold I went to the doctor he checked my lungs & it was clear I was just diagnosed with strep) in the past sometimes I feel some discomfort when i breath when the doctor checks the chest everything clear (I've suffered from that problem for years and no doctor could tell me what’s the problem but now it's more offend (maybe I'm just more nervous) also I'm feeling some discomfort by my hips (like constipated feel) so I started to think maybe something wrong with my kidneys etc. please tell me if any of the above means something or its all different issues
Thank You
Hi and thanks again,

By 'breathing problem' what I meant was "feeling of difficulty in taking breath". Moreover you report that your doctor checked and suggested that your lungs is clear that means no lung pathology is there. So do not worry.

Past history of some discomfort when you breath for years with clear chest could be an indication that maybe you are just nervous, as you are admitting yourself. And yes it happens so during nervousness or during anxiety state.

Presence of cough symptoms before exposure to resin indicates it is not related to resin exposure.

So do not worry. If you are apprehensive of Kidney problem, you can do blood urea and creatinine estimation regularly

Hope you are answered,

I am available for follow up

Thank you
Follow-up: Precautions that need to be taken while working with resin casting 20 hours later
Hi doc I’m really impressed and satisfied of your answer. I like to come to my doctor informed so please tell me which blood work or any other test I should request
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 4 hours later
Thank you for your kind words, Ushesrmail

If you wish to ask for some blood tests, from our previous discussions, may be doing a blood urea test and serum creatinine test for ruling out major kidney problem. In addition, if you want to rule out some cardio-respiratory (lung and heart) pathology doing a fresh chest x-ray and ECG might help. To evaluate nervousness or anxiety (if your personality is not anxious in nature, as we have discussed previously), doing a thyroid function test (T3, T4, TSH) may give direction further.

But, before finalization, you can discuss all these issues with your doctor and then go ahead, to be wiser.

Overall, hold your nerves, relax, not to be panic and act accordingly

Thank you and wish you good luck