Pre term baby bladder obstruction. High creatinine 3.80. Weight 1.6kg. after 4 weeks surgery. Suggestions?

Jul 2016

hi, please review the below and give your impression.
pre term baby bladder obstruction... grade 5... high creatinine 3.80 and potassium weight : 1.5g.
puv fulgaration done 2 weeks post birth. - weight 1.6kg.
after 4 weeks surgery .. creatinine 1.6 potassium normal
after 8 weeks scan result : .. right kidney 48% left kidney 52% function, moderate renal insufficiency
after 15 weeks current: creatinine 1.6.. high ph ... medicine for blood acidity.. weight 3kg. avg 25-30g per day.
doctor advises to observe for an year. no medical or diet intervention...
want to know -- possibility of renal recovery... Please explain in detail..
keep this private to me. NO public sharing.

I was not asked to choose nephrologist.. Please forward it to nephrology specialist.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 57 minutes later
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your baby has Congenital Posterior Urethral Valve detected during routine ultrasound scanning done in antenatal check up.

He had undergone fulguration of the valves two weeks after birth.

His creatinine levels which were high before fulguration are coming down gradually and he is gaining wait which is good sign of recovery.

Normally in most of the cases Kidney function becomes normal (100%) over a period of one year.

Do not worry your baby will be absolutely fine in one years time.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Pre term baby bladder obstruction. High creatinine 3.80. Weight 1.6kg. after 4 weeks surgery. Suggestions? 16 hours later
Thanks Doctor.

The worry factors are

Fluctuating creatine and high blood acidity and ph (it was 10 last week leek)
But wait gain is good 25gms avg per day.

Do you expect still he will become normal.

I read kidneys can not be recovered. Is it not all true.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Thanks for follow up.Fluctuating creatinine levels and blood acidity are to be worried about.
creatinine will almost near normal range 1.2 mg within 6 months time.

Nephrons (Kidney tissue) has potential power to regenerate hence Renal damage due to any obstructive pathology recovers completely once that obstruction is removed without scarring ..

I again assure you that your baby will be absolutely normal and fine within a year.

Thanks and Regards.