Pre-mature birth, kept in NICU. Suggested ibugesic plus syrup. Medicine safe?

Hello my is prematured born in 7 months 8 days kept in NICU doctor suggested for ibugesic plus syrup dosage of 10mg baby is not having fever. what for this medicine use
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 26 minutes later

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You have a premature baby at 7 months and 8 days.

2. Ibugesic contains Ibuprofen which is a cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor and is effective for closure of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. It is for this reason that your child has been prescribed Ibugesic syrup. Since if this ductus arteriosus is not closed after birth then it may lead to problems in oxygenation of blood, recurrent infections and increased load on heart.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra