Pprescribed Cephalexin for insect bite and face is red with raised lumps and spots. Cannot take penicillin. Suggest?

Dermatologist
Question
My husband was prescribed Cephalexin for an insect bite and now his face is very red with raised lumps and spots and the skin is very tight? He can't take penicillin, does Cephalexin contain any penicillin?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
Yes cephalexin and penicillin belong to same group, beta lactams.
Stop the drug immediately. He needs treatment with steroids. For now give him an anti histamine like avil. Please take him to a dermatologist. It is an adverse drug reaction. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you

Follow-up: Pprescribed Cephalexin for insect bite and face is red with raised lumps and spots. Cannot take penicillin. Suggest? 4 hours later
Do we contact the medical center and complain because my husband told both the pre- med and the doctor that he had a penicillin allergy?
As he have to travel away on business in the morning he won't be back till the end of next week!!

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 minutes later
Yes you can do that. The doctor should have know this basic fact that both cephalosporins and penicillins cross react. But for now first take care of your husband. Please take him to a dermatologist as steroids are prescription drugs. Thank you.