Pounding pulse in the throat, belching, fluttering feeling in stomach. Advice?

Symptoms: My pulse pounds in my throat and solar plexus accompanied by a "fluttering" feeling in my solar plexus area when I lay down to sleep at night. Also noticed that a full stomach makes the symptoms more pronounced. Also notice the symptoms occasionally when sitting. Very rarely if standing. The amount of food in my stomach seems to be a contributing factor and I seem to feel bloated or overfull easily with frequent belching. I don't understand if or how it interfaces with the pounding pulse while lying down.

Have been transferred to a more stressful job but that's happened before without this result. I am a 44 y/o male, 6', 240lbs, do cardio training 2/week, use smoke-less tobacco but think it's time for some help to quit and lose 30-40lbs.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Pounding pulse with fluttering feeling in the stomach region seems to be due to various factors in your case.
First of all, a pounding pulse is common in hypertensive patients due to hyperdynamic circulation in the vessels.
Secondly, a bloated stomach, belching and flutters are suggestive of excessive gas/GERD.
Since you have also been under stress, anxiety is also a contributing factor in all these symptoms.

Some suggestions for you:

1)     Monitor your BP readings about 4 times in a day for 5 days. If you notice high values consistently for 5 days then consider visiting a physician for evaluation.

2)     Take Tablet Tums 1 tablet daily for 5 days and observe for changes.

3)     Avoid certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) as these may worsen bloating and gassiness.

4)     Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.

5)     You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.

6)     Do not lie down immediately after having food and keep a gap of at least 2 hours before going to bed.

7)     While lying down, keep the head portion elevated by means of pillows.

8)     Reduce stress and anxiety and go for a morning walk.

I hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.