Potential HIV exposure. Tested with DNA PCR, HIV antibody test, both negative. Chances of HIV infection?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had potential hiv exposure, then was tested with dna pcr five weeks later and it came back negative. Do I have any reason to worry?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Pcr tests for Hiv detection are the most sensitive tests which detect a hiv virus in the patient after 28 days of exposure with 95% confidence .That is if the test is negative then chances of it being right and the patient being safe are 95%.sometimes it may give false positive report so standard test Hiv elisa is also done along with it to clear any ambiguity.
In your case since the test is negative , you need not worry .
But it is always better to be doubly sure in case of hiv, so I would advise you get the Elisa test done too.most probably it wil come negative and you can be double sure of your status.
If you for any reason cannot get it done still you are 95% safe definitely.
I would also recommend you to get it done at a authentic Hiv Aids control centre where they would provide you with pretest and post test counselling.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Potential HIV exposure. Tested with DNA PCR, HIV antibody test, both negative. Chances of HIV infection? 2 hours later

They did the hiv antibody test along with the hiv pcr test at five weeks and both came back negative. Does this change your opinion of my status? It has now been twelve weeks. would you advise taking another antibody test now or am I safe? The only reason I don't want to take another test is because I just want closure and don't want the worrying to persist. If I'm safe I'd rather just stop the testing, as it's very nerve racking for me.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

I understand your concern and apprehension.

It’s best to let bygones be bygones and move ahead. Please do not stress yourself.

Yes, if both the tests are negative you are most likely safe and you need not repeat the test again.
Do not keep worrying about your status or carry out unnecessary tests repeatedly. I would advise you to confide in your physician so that you can discuss freely any concern in future with him and can vent out your fears in person, but that would be your personal choice and decision.

Also, please be cautious in the future and stay away from potential exposure to HIV by practicing safe sex and universal precautions in handling blood and body fluids.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept the answer if you have no further queries.