Postpartum swelling, tingling in the right hand, shortness of breath, given percoset, ibuprofen, vikodin. Dosage?

Postpartum swelling, some tingling in right hand and forearm, slight shortness of breath, could be due to anxiety perhaps.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Birth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Post partum mild swelling could be due to weakness and low protein diet usually subsides in 4-6 weeks.

The tingling in right hand and forearm is also mostly associated with the swelling of the nerve sheath causing nerve compression.

Shortness of breath is commonly associated with anemia seen in the post partum period due to bleeding during the delivery.

I don't believe only anxiety can cause all these problems.

A good diet high in protein, iron and calcium, vitamin B- complex supplements and adequate rest should take care of most of your symptoms in 4-6 weeks time.

I would suggest you to consult your physician and get yourself evaluated for exact cause, so that it can be treated accordingly.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Postpartum swelling, tingling in the right hand, shortness of breath, given percoset, ibuprofen, vikodin. Dosage? 2 hours later
While I was in the hospital recuperating from the ceasarian, they were giving me percoset (spelling may not be right) and ibuprofen for the pain. My doc prescribed Vikodin for after being discharged. Can I take both Vikodin and Ibuprofen for the pain; how much Ibuprofen can I take per dosage (I am not really sure how much Ibuprofen was being given to me at the hospital, unfortunately)?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Vicodin can be given with Ibuprofen for pain and both can be taken together.

Vicodin is given 5mg-7.5mg every 4-6 hourly depending on the severity of pain. Ibuprofen 400mg- 600mg can be taken every 4-6 hourly.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.