Post nasal drip on right side & producing excess saliva. Are they related?

ENT Specialist
I have had a post nasal drip on the right side and I am also producing excess saliva. Could they be related?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A Post Nasal Drip on the right side will usually be due to nasal obstruction or sinusitis. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1 mm coronal , axial and sagittal views done.

2. A Post Nasal drip also infects the throat and oral cavity and may increase acidity and acid reflux leading to excessive salivary production.

3. Hence they may be related in a vicious cycle which may be disrupted by medication. However this should be under medical supervision after your test results.

4. This is because there is always the possibility of rarer causes of excessive salivary secretion such as concurrent medication, certain foodstuff, oral ulcers, hormonal imbalance, liver and pancreatic diseases, parkinsonism and so on being possible causes which must be ruled out..

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.