Post menopause and have diverticulitis. Gall bladder removed. Why am I getting abdominal pain?

General Surgeon
Question
i am 60 years old; post menopausal. I had my gall bladder removed several years ago and have had 1 attack of kidney stones about 15 years ago. This does not feel like either of those. I have a pain on my right side. The pain occasionally hurts when I sit down, but is not made worse by walking. Pressing on my abdomen on the right makes it hurt. The location of the spot I need to press varies from my waist heading towards my back to my hip bone. At first it reminded me of menstrual cramps. I have diverticulitis.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your pain can be caused by large intestine disease (polyps or cancer), inguinal hernia, ovarian disease (cyst, tumor).
Inguinal hernia gives some kind of lump while standing, and the pain raises when coughing or pushing abdomen. You can perform simple test. Put your hand in your right inguinal area and try to cough while standing. If you will find any lump or the pain increases, hernia is possible.
As you are overweight, over 50 years old and have diveritculitis, you should have colonoscopy performed (even without this symptoms). This will rule out large intestine diseases. Some other symptoms associating large intestine diseases are blood or mucus in stool, history of constipations and or diarrheas, lost of weight.
You should also visit gyneacologist and have transvaginal ultrasound performed.
Urine analysis and full blood work should be also done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Post menopause and have diverticulitis. Gall bladder removed. Why am I getting abdominal pain? 9 minutes later
I was mostly afraid this was something like an appendicitis, but it sounds like I just need to make a followup visit with my GP sometime soon rather than head to the emergency room. Am I correct?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later
Hello!

I did understand from your question that this pain is there for some time now. If this pain is there for couple of days or longer, appendicitis is unlike.
If this pain has appeared today, this can be an appendicitis.
Appendicitis very often gives nausea, slightly elevated body temperature, the pain starts in upper middle abdomen and after few hours migrates to the right lower abdomen. Pain while walking can be present. It also gives pain on the right side when pushing abdomen on the left side.
So if this sounds like yours symptoms, you should have it checked right away. Otherwise, you can make an appointment.

Regards.