Post-menopausal woman. Had a D&C because of a thickened uterine lining. Reason for pain in left side?

Okay, I just had a D&C because of a thickened uterine lining. I am a post-menopausal woman who is 63 years old. In 2009, I had a D&C because of vaginal bleeding and at that time my uterine lining was 9 cm. After the D&C I had no other symptoms and I was told that a biopsy of the lining was negative for any malignancy. A few months ago, I had spotting again and this time associated with left-sided pain, which continues to this date. My spotting was less than before and only last 1 to 2 days. I had another OB/GYN unltrasound which confirmed thickening at 11 cm so my doctor performed another D&C yesterday. The only difference this time is that I have left-sided pain that feels like my period is on which radiates to my back. Dr. XXXXXXX did an earlier endomentrium biopsy in her office which test again revealed no malignancies; however, I was told it was not enough to make a definitive diagnosis so she ordered another D&C. What can be causing my uterus lining to thicken and what could be causing the left-side pain which is radiating to my back on the left side? It should be noted that I have had surgery for ovarian cysts when I was 25 years old and I was told that I do have fibroid tumors in my uterus.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up. ultraslound, gynecologist consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The commonest cause of uterine thickening is of hormonal origin. It was very reasonable to do the D and C and the biopsies. Fortunately, the results were negative. However, regular check ups still remain important.

Other common causes of uterine bleeding include uterine fibroids must be evaluated for. It is imperative to do an ultrasound to evaluate for fibroids. The ultrasound shall also be useful to exclude other non uterine causes of bleeding like ovarian cysts and tumors.

The history of ovarian cyst does not really constitute a risk factor. I do suggest you do an ultrasound and continue monitoring the histological status of the uterus. Depending on the results of the ultrasound and the biopsies, it might be necessary at some point, in case of recurrent bleeding, to consider the option of a hysterectomy (surgical removal of the uterus). This decision is however made by you and the gynecologist based on physical findings, state of surrounding organs and personal preference. Thanks and hope this helps. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD