Post menopausal, hair thinning, taken Metformin for insulin resistance. Will it help for hair thinning?

Jul 2012

I am post menopausal and have had thinning hair for 2 years now. This spring it increased dramatically.

I recently went to an endocrinologist and he put me on Metformin for my insulin resistance. I also saw a hair transplant surgeon this morning and he said I was NOT a candidate for a transplant. I cried all the way home and bought some Rogaine foam for men 5% to try.

The only medication I am currently on is the Metformin for the last 3 weeks and Premarin .3mg for hot flashes. Even though most of my menopause symptoms have subsided the Premarin doesn't seem to be effective for the hair loss and thinning.

I know the Metformin will help me out of the insulin resistance cycle and help me stick to a diet but will it help my hair thinning? All my other tests including thyroid show normal and my estrogen levels showed post menopausal.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there. I empathise with your predicament at the outset. Menopause is a difficult time to handle emotional & physical excess baggage & one feels like one is all alone in the world! Relax. You are on the right track & its only a matter of time before the hair starts regrowing. Minoxidil foam may be substituted to a lotion/spray form for best results. There is a medication called finesteride that comes in a tablet form & 5mg is the prescribed dosage & needs to be consumed for months together. Please discuss this with your treating doctor before starting it. Dont worry about all the endocrine problems. The tablets & minoxidil et al need some time to act. If your transplant surgeon says you are NOT a candidate, then that is good news as it means your hair loss (albeit troubling you) is not as 'severe' on an objective scale!
I do hope i have managesd to assuage you into accepting that all will be well & time will take its course. Please do also visit a dietitian & tailor your food habbits to help loose weight while eating 'right' with foods like brocolli included for best results for your skin & hair! Cheers! GodSpeed..& Hope i have answered all your questions & felt your pulse & you are in a better place. Please do find the time to rate us & your feedback as always will be invaluable.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Deramtologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.