Post menopausal after abdominal pain. US showed heterogeneous endometrial thickness and cyst on ovary. Can it be cancer?

I am 45 considered post menopausal (no period in 4 years) after abdominal pain, was referred for ultrasound and found to have a endometrium of 10mm which is heterogeneous, a mass of simple cystic sites and a 12mm simple cyst on my right ovary, I have to have a biopsy. Does this mean I have cancer and will I die?
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

I understand you are concerned about the changes noted on ultrasound scan. To enumerate, ultrasound scan done for abdominal pain revealed:

1. Heterogenous endometrial thickness of 10mm.
2. Simple cysts on ovaries, the largest is of 12mm on the right side.
Both these findings are concerning. However they are not very alarming to suspect a definitive cancer yet.

The current statistic data reveal that simple cyst without septations/palpitations and solid areas are less likely to be malignant. Besides that, in the absence of vaginal bleeding, endometrial thickness of under 11mm is less likely to be cancerous. The absence of vaginal bleeding, loss of appetite and weight loss is also positive indicator.

That being said, biopsy would be the investigation of choice and the appropriate next step. I know it is not right to predict the results, however I feel this might just be a benign endometrial hyperplasia. Good luck with the test.

Let me know if you need any other clarifications.

Best regards
Follow-up: Post menopausal after abdominal pain. US showed heterogeneous endometrial thickness and cyst on ovary. Can it be cancer? 14 minutes later
Thank you doctor, it is one ovarian cyst and the other cysts are in the endometrium. described as simple cystic sites the largest being 2mm.
I feel 'slightly' re-assured as I haven't slept much!
I haven't lost any weight by the way.
I believe the cure rate for e.c is quite good?
Thanks once again
Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 minutes later

Welcome again,

Simple cystic changes are very common seen in endometrial hyperplasia.

I know this sounds scary. However understand that there are various steps between endometrial hyperplasia to a full endometrial cancer. Simple endometrial hyperplasia can be easily treated successfully with minimally invasive procedure such as dilatation and curettage. If needed hormone replacement may follow.

I think you should drop your fear and sleep well. Go ahead with the biopsy as planned - it is essential.

Hope this helps. Do write back if you need any other information.

Good luck!!