Post concussion syndrome. Car accident, head and neck pain, irritable, brain fog, speech problem, memory loss.

i am suffering from "post concussion syndrome" according to physicians. my car was stopped to turn and i was rear ended by a dodge XXXXXXX truck driving in excess of 50 mi/hr upon impact. i am unaware of how long i sat in my car dazed or unconscious when i realized what had happened. i wa 'zombie' like. did not know or recall what to do as cognitive abilities were "gone".after 15 min. of sitting that i recall i called my the same time "good samaritans" stopped to ask if i needed help. when my husband asked me where i was i did not know."g.S." took telephone and told my husband- i was 1 mi. from our home. went to local e.r. and they took flat x-rays , cervical.when i told md i had trouble walking he ordered flat x-ray -lumbar. no testing of head trauma despie not being able ro recall name & other info without much trouble. i have had severe frontal(across forehead)pain down the left side of my head, all around back of neck. my left eye feels as pressure is behind it and left side of skull hurts to the touch. I "zone" out for few min. at a time and pick up where i was before episode. personality is different, irritable, almost combative.Iam writing as headaches are no better and are noe moving up from my neck in the back. this is my third concussion over an 8 yr period and despite no let up in pain and eye symptom, head mri was normal and i know i am not being taken seriously as this was due to car accident, the other two concussions were not and treated much differently. i was married 5 days before the accident, have a very supportive husband, but i did tell him that with my "not being myself for so long" and sleeping 14-20 hrs. some days, he could get an annullment of our marriage as "i am not the person he married and feel as though I never will be again." i do not want this, neither does he but i am desperate for help.i realize concussions take time to recover from however in the other 2 i had i never suffered headaches nor before in my lifetime. i feel as though i am in a fog, my speech is frustrating as i cannot remember simple words in conversations, my memory is terrible!, i cannot pronounce words that rolled off my tongue easily.I seen 2 neurologists, the first immediately changed demeanor when he heard "accident" and sent me on my way with something like deal with it, it may take 3-6 mo. the second meurologist gave mr script for imitrex which does not help. i need help as my body is telling me something is wrong!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 38 minutes later

I have gone through the information by you and from what I have inferred is that you have had an accident with a head injury for which an MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) brain was done at a later date for continuous headaches you have been having on and off post trauma.
You also feel you have a weak memory, change in behavior and irritability. I would like to a little more information in order to come to a conclusion

1. How long has it been since you have suffered from this trauma?
2. How often did you get headaches before the incident?
3. When was the last time you for your eyes checked for vision?
4. Did you suffer from sinus infection anytime?
5. Are you stressed /anxious about anything?
6. What medications were given for your pain? Any work up like blood work done? Please attach the reports to the query.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I understand your concern. Please help me with these answers to help me get an overview and a better conclusion.

I am awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Post concussion syndrome. Car accident, head and neck pain, irritable, brain fog, speech problem, memory loss. 2 hours later
my head trauma was exactly 5 months ago (on 9/3/2011.) i have never had migraines, in fact, can barely recall a mild headache in my life. i do not have sinus problems and never had. no bloodwork was done at all. i had to wait 3 weeks to get a script for a head mri.
normal life stresses. eyes checked, almost three years ago after concussion to check retinas
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later

Thanks for replying

It does look like post concussion syndrome as all other possibilities are rules out for the continuous head aches. This syndrome is also known to cause behavioral changes and mood instabilities which lasts for 9 months to 2 years but the intensity does start reducing eventually.

Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology conducted a clinical trial for Treatment of Post-Concussion Syndrome Following Head Injury and they came to a conclusion that 40% of the people in post concussion syndrome were treated with analgesics (pain killers) but did not improve from it. What did help was congnitive behavioral therapy. I would like you to XXXXXXX a good psychiatrist you help you counsel from it on a regular basis.

I would like to add here that the symptoms you are facing will eventually come down with time and they are no forever. Please do not lose hope. You are going through a very difficult time

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer

I wish you good health