Possible to take norethisterone to advance periods next month?

Hello, I have norithiserone for a one-off delay of period to avoid my holiday. I was going to start it 3 days prior to my period, but it started earlier than expected. My holiday is less than one month from now. Is it possible to take norithiserone during the next month to induce my next period  earlier so it has finished before I go on holiday? If possible I would prefer to do this than to delay my next period by taking norithiserone whilst I'm away, as i realise i can only take it for 2 weeks which is not long enough to delay for my whole holiday. I have read something about taking it for 10 days at any time in the cycle and then when it is stopped a period will start in a few days. Is this right? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later

Firstly, I would like to know when you had your last period and how long it lasted and when is your next period due. If your next period is only around 2 or 3 weeks from now, preponement is not going to work.

Here is the schedule for preponement of cycles with Norethisterone. You take the medication twice a day for 15 days and when you stop the treatment, you will get a withdrawal bleeding within 5 days. Please remember, this should be done under the guidance of your consultant as you may need an assessment to start treatment.

While using the medication, you may have side effects like nausea, bloating and rashes sometimes; please inform your doctor immediately.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Possible to take norethisterone to advance periods next month? 7 hours later

My last period started on 9th March and my cycle is usually around 28 days. My last period lasted about 5 days. I have taken norethiserone some time ago with no side effects to delay a period. if I need to take the tablets for 15 days and then wait another 5 days then this sounds like I am probably too far into my cycle to bring my period forward earlier. Is there any other way to bring my period forward?

thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You are already 10 days in to your next cycle and have about 18 days left and you wish to have your period earlier than that, perhaps 4-5 days, I presume. You can start Norethisterone at higher doses of 5mg. three times a day as you had used the drug before without any side effects, use for 5 days and stop. You will get a withdrawal after around 5 days. I think that would be fairly early enough. Please remember to consult your gynecologist before embarking on the dosage suggested.

You can also try home remedies along side like eating papaya, taking jaggery and ginger juice together, consuming sesame seeds, eating pineapples, plenty of rice, curd, bananas and so on.

Hope I have answered your query. If you need further clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be ready to help.