Possible exposure to STD, used condom, urinated white substance, negative HIV DNA PCCR test

Excellent

Question
I'm worried because I feel I may have had a possible exposure to STD'S early morning of 8/24/12. The perosn I slept we used a condom and as we changed positions I checked to make sure the condom was still there. After we were done he had got up and I went to the restroom. I'm worried because I din't see the condom afterwards. i checked myself to see if any cum would come out and it didn't, I di the same thing 15 minutes later and it was just a little bit of my own cum. About 5 hours later when I got up to urinate, after I urinated a little bit of white clear stuff came out afterwards. 3 days later I started my period for the 2nd time that month and that has never happened before. I suffer from anxiety and asked my Dr. to test me immediately and was given a full panel STD check and an HIV DNA PCR test and everything came back negative. He told me I would have to retest for HIV in after a month of possible exposure and the HPV, Syphillis and Hepatitis tests.

My daughter started feeling sick this past Thursday and really started going through the sickness a day or two later. Then this past Saturday night I ended up sick, I had taken Nyquil since then and feel fine now, just a little mucos in my throat. About 3 1/2 weeks ago my daughter was sick as well because we went on vacation to Vegas where it was 102 degrees and came back home to CA where it was mid 60's and days later I ended up sick as well. Did the same thing and took Nyquil and was better in 2 days.

The reason I have told you all the information above is so you can understand why I' asking these questions. First could me being sick be a sign of HIV or could it just be a coincidence that I'm just getting sick from my daughter and would the HIV test that i had taken be a good indicator that I'm not infected? I will retest with the antibody test at the 4 week XXXXXXX And also I have herpes 1/2 and had been taking Valacyclovir for 3 weeks 2 times a day until I couldn't take the abdominal pain it was giving me and I have also lost my mother 4 months ago and my mother father 1 month ago so my queestion is could the reason why I had 2 periods in one month is due to the stress and me taking the pills for herpes? And do you feel my exposure was high risk or low?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 45 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,
Yes , you right you need to recheck HIV antibody test as per your Doctor advice and in case of any vaginal discharge, itching, urinary disturbances , recheck again full STD panel. Don’t worry, I can assure you that your condition “being sick “ is not correlated to HIV infection, very probably you experienced common cold wile returned from Vegas and due to travel, changing temperature, stress, anxiety, sadness ( due to your mother ) you had 2 periods during the one months, but your condition are reversibly and at this point you no need to worry. Just continue your medication, follow healthy life style and recheck all above mentioned test in time and everything will be alright.
I wish you good luck and speedy recovery,
Hope this helps and I have answered your query. If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Possible exposure to STD, used condom, urinated white substance, negative HIV DNA PCCR test 2 hours later
So does the HIV test that I took gives me a good indicator that I'm not infected? I will still do my antibody test in 2 weeks. I've read that this test works good after 72 hours of possible exposure but is best taken after 28 days of possible exposure. What are your outlooks of the DNC PCR test.

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 10 hours later
Welcome back,
Yes , you took right decision to recheck , because detectable antibody response to HIV occurs 3- to 8 week after possible exposure, but you said you have had protected intercourse, ( you was aware always) so is very unlikely in your situation be seropositive. HIV infection may be diagnosed using a number of methods : detection of viral specific antigens ( early method of detection), identification of HIV nucleic acid, isolation of virus in culture, detection of antibodies ( after 3-8 weeks after possible exposure ). Sensitivity differs with stage of disease such a >99% for DNA polymerase chain reaction test (PCR ); >95% for quantitative assay of HIV RNS or viral load; >95-100 % for isolation of virus in viral culture; and almost 100 % p24 antigen detection assays. To calm down your doubts you may request few from these test that definitely will clarify.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail