Possible depression/anxiety, online self assessments have scored moderate/severe range. Rely on them?

I am not sure whether or not I should see a doctor about a possible depression/anxiety issue. I have taken several online self assessments and have scored in the moderate/severe range for depression. I just don't know how reliable the tests are
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 45 minutes later

Thank you for posting your question.

I am not sure how useful those online tests are. It might depend a bit on whether they are trying to sell you something for depression or not. I would normally ask someone like you these sort of questions. It will help me in suggesting you better if you answer those.

(1) Are you taking any medications at present, including birth control?
(2) Are you sleeping OK? Any early morning sleep disturbance?
(3) How are you socialising, getting on with others?
(4) How about work or college? How is this going in your own words?

If you can answer these questions as best you can, then I might have a better idea. I would say this though. If someone is suffering from significant clinical depression, they generally know it and would have no need to be doing online self assessments!

Awaiting your reply.