Positive result for HIV home test kit when using saliva instead of blood. Accurate result?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Dear sir/madam
I recently purchased a rapid HIV home test kit which requires a blood sample
taken from the finger using a lancet. However, I panicked and was unable to use
the lancet. Out of curiosity I used my saliva instead and the result showed positive.
Would this be an accurate result of the home test kit was specifically for a blood sample?
I am very confused and upset as well, i don't know what to make of it.
Thank you, please advise.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 44 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Do not get panicky about this result. As you said, specific kits are available for blood, saliva and urine.
These kits are sensitive only for the specific purpose. Oradia is specific to test HIV in saliva not the one the rapid home test kit. Therefore, you need not worry at present.

If you are not able to use the lancet by yourself, ask somebody to help you, otherwise rely some good laboratory for this purpose.

You have not disclosed about your sexual habits. Try to follow protected sex to avoid risk and unnecessary tension.

Good day to you.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Positive result for HIV home test kit when using saliva instead of blood. Accurate result? 56 minutes later
Thank you for your fast response.
With regards to my sexual habits, I was in a relationship
a few months ago and we were not using any condoms.
This is the reason for my concern.
So are you telling me that by using saliva on the rapid home hiv test (specifically for blood specimen), it is not possible for the result to be correct?
I have purchased another home test kit so i'm hoping for a different result once it arrives.

thank you so much
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

If your relationship is with a single known partner, then you need not worry. If you don't know much about your partner always wear condom.

Yes, the previous test of saliva with a HIV home test is not a reliable one. It is definitely better to go with another fresh kit and check with your blood sample.

Wish you the very best

Dr S.Murugan