Positive pregnancy test, vomiting. How likely are they truly positive and what are my odds of having a successful pregnancy?

Question
I have had 6 positive pregnancy tests. Also have most of the symptoms except not frequent nausea, just a couple times with vomiting. I'm also 44 years old. How likely are they truly positive and what are my odds of having a successful pregnancy. I had my last baby at 34 years old and he has down syndrome. This is also a great concern for me.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The six positive tests indicate that you are surely pregnant.
Still if you are in doubt, it would be best if you get a beta human chorionic gonadotropin test (Beta HCG – a blood test for pregnancy) done. This is a hormone which is a grossly elevated when a lady is pregnant.
Since you have had a baby with Downs’ syndrome in a earlier pregnancy at 34 yrs the chances can be more this time.
I would suggest the following:
a.     Get a beta human chorionic gonadotropin test done to confirm the pregnancy.
b.     If it confirms you are pregnant, please decide whether you want this baby or not. You must keep in mind that the chances of you having another child with Down’s syndrome are increased. Also, since you are diabetic, there is a greater risk of malformations in this child.
c.     If you decide you want to keep this child, start yourself on folic acid tablets, 0.5 mg, once a day.
d.      Also, make sure your diabetes is in control by following a proper diet plan and by adhering to your medication. In this regard, I would like to know what medication are you taking currently to take care of your diabetes.
e.      Further, an ultrasonography would be required to make sure that everything is fine.
f.      I would also like you to undergo a test which helps detect whether this child has Down’s syndrome or now. This test ( which could be amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling or pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and a human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) levels) needs to be done at 16-18 weeks of gestation.
g.     I would also suggest that you see your gynaecologist who can examine you and help you decide what’s best for you.
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Positive pregnancy test, vomiting. How likely are they truly positive and what are my odds of having a successful pregnancy? 5 hours later
I take metformin and glyburide. What exactly are my odds of having another downs baby? Is there any possibility at all that this baby could be fine? We want this baby very badly.

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

After 40 yrs of age there can be few complications during pregnancy to the mother as well as the child. Fetal anomalies are also more common in babies born to mother in later age - the risk increases with the age and in presence of diabetes. The odds are also higher in view of previous Down's baby from earlier pregnancy.

In view of multiple risk factors it would be hard to predict chances of normal pregnancy. Some reports mention the chances of Down's and other fetal abnormalities after 40 years are 1 in 100 pregnancy.

I understand this pregnancy is precious to you. I would be wise to discuss with your doctor early, get some relevant investigation such as triple marker done.

Hope this answer is useful. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Positive pregnancy test, vomiting. How likely are they truly positive and what are my odds of having a successful pregnancy? 7 hours later
Ok. Had my first sonogram today. 7-8 week pregnancy with baby's heart beating. I'm just going to be extra cautious with my diabetes, get excellent prenatal care and hope I beat the chromosome odds. I'm trying to put into God's hands.

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 17 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

I am glad and happy for you that your baby is fine as seen on ultrasound. Take regular medications of diabetes and things shall be fine.

Follow up with your doctor regularly and monitor the progress.

My best wishes are with you.

Let me know if you have any more concerns. If all your queries are addressed, please accept the answer and close the discussion.

Warm regards