Positive pregnancy test, medical abortion done with mifeprex, diarrhea, vomiting. When does bleeding start?

May 2013
my friend did a digital pregnancy test and it revealed that she was 4weeks plus pregnant for personal and financial reasons she did the medical abortion with 3 ru486 {mifeprex} tablets all 3 taken in one dose as prescribde
It has been 38 hours since she has taken them her breasts have stopped being tender she feels slight period pains some back pains and at times rather flushed in the face and she is having some diahorea and sometimes she is feeling like she wants to throw up
her body temperature has been normal
is it normal for her that she has not seen any bleeding yet ?
normally how long does it take to see any kind of bleeding?
will an ultrasound tell her if the abortion has occured?
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 44 minutes later
thanks for the query.

-Normally Ru486(mifepristone) is given in combination with misoprostol for medical termination of pregnancy.

-after taking first pill containing mifepristone, the next two tablets containing misoprostol should be taken after 24 hours generally.

-by this bleeding will start usually in 12 hours after the course and pregnancy will terminate within 24 hours generally.

your doctor may be following some other procedure, no problem.

Now what you have to do is,
-you didn't mention whether her pregnancy is confirmed by ultrasound or not, if not confirmed you first visit your gynecologist and undergo ultrasound to rule out ectopic pregnancy.
as the symptoms told by you can be seen because of usage of mifepristone can also be seen in ectopic better to rule out.
-in case of intrauterine pregnancy the ultrasound can show whether the process of abortion started or not,
-if not you can discuss with your doctor what to do next.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care.
Follow-up: Positive pregnancy test, medical abortion done with mifeprex, diarrhea, vomiting. When does bleeding start? 18 minutes later
thanks for your prompt reply
my friend she bought the pills online and she was only given mifiprex as 3 tablets as i said and was instructed to take all 3 tablets at once
so what you are saying is that unless she follows mifiprex with misoprostol the pregnancy will not terminate?
also did i understand you correctly that she is not seeing any bleeding because it might be an ecoptic pregnancy?
she has not done an ultrasound as yet
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later

Progesterone is the hormone responsible for pregnancy, mifiprestone causes withdrawal of its effect and makes the sac vulnerable to abortion.
misoprostol leads to expulsion of sac.

So there should be some gap between these too. May be because of this she is not having bleeding.

I am not saying that definitely she will have ectopic, but my meaning is that there is possibility for ectopic pregnancy.

It is XXXXXXX to use these drugs without ruling out ectopic as chance of rupture of ectopic is there.

Now you visit your gynecologist as early as possible, undergo ultrasound and then follow her advice for further treatment.

Wishing good health to your friend, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care