Positive for Hbsag test with normal liver function test. What medication should I take?

We did a test for Hbsag for my wife which came out to be positive then doctor suggested a test for me and it was negative.
The doctor further asked us to do a LFT (lever function test) for my wife and it was normal. What course of action/medication should we take now.

My wife is pregnant. How serious is this?
I dont want to risk my wife's life for anything. Is it curable or does she need medication.

Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below

Detailed Answer:

You need to know three things - How to treat your wife, how to protect yourself and how to protect the baby that is going to be born.

1. You are negative for HBsAg. You have chances of acquiring the infection from your wife. So you need to be protected by HBV vaccination - 3 doses at 0,1 and 6 months.

2. Your baby once it is born should be immunized within 12 hours after birth.

3. Your wife needs further testing. First test is to know whether the infection is acute of chronic. If the infection is chronic , then additonal testing including HBeAg and HBV DNA quantitative test should be done. Based on the reports she may need repeat testing at 28 weeks of pregnancy to decide early initiation of treatment to prevent spread to the baby.

Consult a gastroenterologist/hepatologist in your area to guide you.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini