Positive TB PCR, want to opt IVF. Is it possible?

Infertility Specialist
My wife has been detected positive in her TB PCR test. We are thinking for IVF. Is it possible to have baby even after getting TB PCR test positive? My wife age is 34yrs. We already have 8yrs daughter. We have been trying for baby for the last 3yrs but without success. My wife was also detected with Endometrosis for which she got operated in Dec 2012.
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for your query. I read your query and I I understand your concerns. Following is my reply : 1) Chances of conception with TBPCR positive are very low or almost nil even if you go for IVF. 2) You have to start her on anti tuberculosis treatment as soon as possible. 3) Treatment lasts for about 4 months. 4) Repeat TBPCR after treatment completion and then go ahead with IVF. Then you will have better chance of conception. 5) I understand having operated for endometriosis complicates matters but there is no choice. Please take anti tuberculosis treatment before doing anything. I hope I answered your query. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol. IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Positive TB PCR, want to opt IVF. Is it possible? 55 minutes later
What are the severity level of TBPCR? What should I check in the report to ascertain the same? What are the possible causes of TB? How good are the chances of having a baby in a patient going for IVF but have been operated for Endometriosis and later detected and treated for TB.

Finally, it's really surprising for my wife and me that we had our daughter within 1yr of our marriage and never thought we have to undergo all these complications while planing for our 2nd child. Any possible reason why a healthy person develops complication like Endometriosis, TB etc and should we at all go for IVF or chances are not worth going for.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 hours later

Thanks for additional information.

1) There is no speific severity level in terms of TBPCR positivity. It indicates positivity of tuberculosis of womb which makes it difficult for her to conceive with TB being positive.

2) Once she is cured of tuberculosis course of treatment of 6 months, you can plan for going ahead with treatment of IVF.

3) Your wife is suffering from secondary infertility. That means tuberculosis has probably affected her after delivery of first baby.

4) Though she might look healthy but tuberculosis can affect any organ. In your wife, it has unfortunately affected her womb.

5) Endometriosis is a different problem which affects ovaries due to reflux of menstrual blood from uterus into ovaries through fallopian tubes. Since she has been operated and not recurred, no need to worry about it as of now.

These complications can happen to anyone. Dont be depressed about it. Dont feel much bad about it. Fortunately advanced treatment options are available.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow-up: Positive TB PCR, want to opt IVF. Is it possible? 12 minutes later
I have read in some of the articles posted by Infertility specialist doctors that TB PCR is not a very reliable test to detect TB and therefore need to consult a expert physician for the second opinion.

Doctor what's your take on the same.
If the above is true which field of doctor (internal medicine etc...) we should consult to.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Hi, I understand there is always debate in the field of medicine. But PCR is most advanced and very specific way of diagnosis of TB especially endometrial TB. I suggest you consult XXXXXXX medicine specialist for second opinion. Request him to write Anti TB Medicines also. Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol