Positive HPT, scan showed no evidence of pregnancy, minimal fluid in POD, low beta hcg values. Cause of concern?

Mar 2016

Hello Doctor,

I have a 35 day cycle and in this month I ovulated on the 24th day on 40th day I could see a faint positive in HPT and on the 41st day beta HCG was checked and was found be 58.5,also the US scan suggested no evidence of pregnancy(extrauterine or intra uterine),endometrium thickness was 13mm,and minimal fluid was found in the POD with tenderness,my gynaec has suggested me to do another blood test on 43rd day,

My concern is,is there anything to worry about this low beta HCG values and absence of ges.sac...
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

In this situation, you should repeat blood test for beta-HCG once again along with Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) to get detailed picture.

It can confirm or exclude possibility of late pregnancy as you ovulate on 24th day of cycle and conception may take place after that.

Normal beta-HCG levels in early weeks (after conception) are as follows:
1) 0-1 week > 0-50 mIU/ml
2) 1-2 weeks > 40-300 mIU/ ml
3) 3-4 weeks > 500-6000 mIU/ ml and so on (Peak level on 8 weeks).

Generally, beta-HCG level will double every 30-72 hrs and your level is quite low. Though anything above 25 mIU/ ml is considered positive for pregnancy in most of the cases.

A low hCG level may indicate following thing:

1) Wrong calculation of ovulation date 2) Ectopic pregnancy 3) Possible miscarriage or blighted ovum

Please consult with your gynecologist regarding this to perform above investigations and clear your confusion. Take suggestive measures accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Positive HPT, scan showed no evidence of pregnancy, minimal fluid in POD, low beta hcg values. Cause of concern? 44 hours later
hello doctor,I've checked for hcg values today and it was found to be 170.5

Do i have to still worry doctor,kindly advice
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later

Thanks for posting your follow up query.

Your blood test for beta-HCG level is increased from previous one & suggestive of conception but still below normal range according to gestational age (3rd week after conception).

Here, I suggest you to undergo one TVS scan after one week to get detailed picture on your pregnancy status. It is more confirmatory and informative than beta-HCG. Hope for the best result.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. Don't be worried.

Dr Soumen