Positive HPT, abdominal pain, black stools, taking prenatal vitamins, bleeding after sex. Worried

I have taken a home pregnancy test and got a positive result as of 2 weeks ago. My last period was July 11th putting me at 6 weeks tomorrow. I started taking prenatal vitamins on the 14th of this month, have had a very slight/gentle pain (not quite a cramp but sort of feels like a poke) in my left lower abdomen. I have noticed some black stools which I believe are caused by the prenatal vitamins and seem to be normal according to other women online. Today, after intercourse, I noticed I was bleeding and am still bleeding. The pain in my lower left abdomen seems to gradually get worse, but still not bad enough to feel like a cramp. I have noticed the bleeding for about 3 hours now and am worried that I may be having a miscarriage or maybe even an ectopic pregnancy. Do the symptoms above seem normal or should I be on my way to the hospital?
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 40 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us

Six weeks pregnancy with pain lower abdomen and bleeding for past 3hrs causes concern.

It may be threatened abortion , an incomplete abortion or missed abortion.

In threatened abortion the bleeding is usually painless

In incomplete abortion there is excessive bleeding with clots and pain

In missed abortion there is usually dark altered blood , may or may not be associated with pain

In an ectopic pregnancy , bleeding is less in amount but pain can be severe

I would suggest you to visit a gynecologist immediately so that you can get an ultrasound done and can be treated accordingly.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Positive HPT, abdominal pain, black stools, taking prenatal vitamins, bleeding after sex. Worried 19 minutes later
With these symptoms and the possible causes/issues, is there any possibility that I will continue to have a healthy pregnancy or is it likely that my pregnancy has ended?
Thank you for your help and I will schedule an appointment with a gynecologist as soon as possible.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Welcome back

If the cardiac activity is normal and it is an intrauterine pregnancy then there are chances of normal pregnancy and bleeding stops with rest and medicines given by your doctor.

So you just relax till you visit your gynec.

You can take tablet meftal spas for the pain if it is not tolerable.

As you mentioned the pain on left side , if it is getting worse then you should visit the doctor as soon as possible as it can be an ectopic pregnancy though the chances are less but one should not neglect anything.

Hoping for your speedy recovery

God bless you