Positive HPT, HCG level variable, probable ongoing miscarriage, no bleeding, slight uterus pain. Am I miscarrying?

Hi! I just recently turned 40 years old. Last thursday, a HPT said I was positive. My MD had my HCG level drawn and it was only 30.8. On saturday, HCG was 36.8 and Monday it was 45.2. My MD says that this is a sign of a probable ongoing miscarriage. I am not having any bleeding and only slight intermittent pain in the uterus.......Am I miscarrying? If so, how long before I start to bleed?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
The rising titres of serum HCG should double every 48 hours which signifies adequate secretion of hcg from the placenta. Your rising hcg levels are not upto the XXXXXXX and these levels do indicate an ongoing miscarriage.
This is an extremely early sign to know the wellness of fetus. Pain abdomen and bleeding do appear late . They may even take 10 -14 days to appear in some cases.
You need not panic. Just stay calm and wait for the bleeding to appear on its own before going for any D&C.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.