Popping rib during coughing. Does this sound like a hernia and how quickly should I have her evaluated?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 14 year old daughter (a gymnast 100 lbs.) has had a cough for a couple of weeks. It is getting worse and she has a pop that happens each time she coughs under he left rib. Does this sound like a hernia and how quickly should I have her evaluated?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

This does not sound like a hernia as she has had the symptoms only for a few weeks. The worsening cough is an indication of the unresolved infection which can cause complications like pneumonia, bronchitis, effusion etc. The pop can be due to movement of the diaphragm or spasm or any fluid effusion.

It definitely warrants early evaluation by her chest physician or paediatrician who can examine her stand conduct necessary tests like Xray chest, ultrasound chest and a complete blood count so that an accurate diagnosis is reached and appropriate treatment started.

However, if she is not breathless or having fast respiratory rate (>40/minute), is eating and sleeping normally, has no fever, rash, vomiting, blood in sputum, irritability or dizziness then she need not be taken to ER, and a routine appointment within 48 hrs would do.

If she develops any of the above then please take her to the ER immediately.

Till then she should drink plenty of fluids to maintain hydration, use saline gargles and take steam inhalations thrice daily for symptomatic relief

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.