Popping and tingling in ears, headache, sinus draining. Had vertigo. Is this sinusitis?

Excellent

Question
I have had vertigo off and on for a week, my ENT said it was not bppv although they thought it might be once before, I am better now, but during the week of the off and on vertigo my head felt heavy, had a slight headache and all I wanted to do was sleep. At the end of the week I noticed that my ears were hurting just a little and popping somewhat. My sinuses then started draining and every now and again my ear is kind of tingly/itchy inside not much but noticeable. I never had a fever, or any sign of a sinus infection.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Most likely you are having a sinus infection.I would like to know if your headache gets aggravated on bending forward /lying down.

I would suggest the following measures.
OTRIVIN(xylometazoline) nasal drops 2 drops in each nostril three times a day for 2 days.
STEAM INHALATION three times a day for 2 days.
TYLENOL(paracetamol) 500mg 1tab sos if headache is present.

After 2 days if you feel , there is absolutely no symptomatic relief, please visit your ENT specialist for further evaluation and might prescribe antibiotics if necessary.

Hope I have answered your query . I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Popping and tingling in ears, headache, sinus draining. Had vertigo. Is this sinusitis? 5 hours later
Yes I was dizzy lying down and bending over

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 4 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for the reply.

What I meant to say is whether the headache gets worse on bending your head forwards or is it worse on lying down. In Sinusitis, because of the collection of secretions and lack of drainage,your head would feel more heavy on bending your head forwards.

Is the vertigo still present or is it better now?

If the vertigo is absent now, you can follow the above measures I had suggested with nasal decongestants, steam inhalation and tylenol.

It is quite unlikely for sinusitis to present with vertigo unless it is actually a ear infection with complications.Another possibility again is BPPV. If vertigo is still present with the same intensity , I would suggest you visit your ENT doc as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query.Feel free to get back to me with any further queries you might have.

Have a nice day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Popping and tingling in ears, headache, sinus draining. Had vertigo. Is this sinusitis? 2 hours later
Actually when I bent over the pressure would be worse.
The vertigo is gone now still had a feeling of heavy headedness until
Yesterday. The ENT said it was not BPPV did all
The tests etc. but believe it or not never looked in my ears.

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

If the headache is worse/ or you feel the pressure on bending your head forwards , most likely it is sinus infection itself. Please follow the treatment I suggested for two days. If still not better, go for a second opinion from another ENT specialist.

Since you are a diabetic , I would suggest you get your Blood pressure checked. It is very important as well.Sometimes High BP can also present with headache.
Also get your Fasting Lipid Prolife done to check your cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and HDL.

Get Well Soon.

I will be happy to answer any further queries. In case you have no further queries , kindly accept the answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan