Popped pimple, applied black medicine for boils, swollen but draining. What do I do?

I got this pimple like thing n I popped it n it got
Infected I've been putting that black medicine for boils
It's draining but still swollen. What do I do??
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
You had a folliculitis or an infected gland. Though it is good that you have cleaned and drained the area, I would have been happier if you had done this under medical guidance.
These are normally caused due to inflammatory reaction to an infection like bacteria or may develop because of obstructed sebaceous or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles.

Now you can apply warm compresses to the area for about 30 minutes, four times daily for a complete drainage. Using an antiseptic ointment like neosporin would be helpful.
If the surrounding area has any surrounding skin infection then you will need to get antibiotics prescribed by a Physician. And also check your blood sugars. People with high blood sugars are prone to develop such recurrent infections.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.