Pop in spine while stretching, pain, soreness, tenderness. Did I just pop something not supposed to and now it's bruised?

Neurologist, Surgical
I was stretching this morning raising my arms above my head and heard a pop in my spine upper part in between should blades heighth. Pain is very strong now and hurts like I got punched in the upper back. Feels 'sore', feels tender to move left or right in that area and when I lay down. Did I just pop something not supposed to and now it's bruised? Small slight tingling in fingertips. I'm 40 healthly. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 1 hour later

After going through your query, I understand that you started having pain in upper back after trying to stretch your hands overhead.

Most probaly, it is sprain due to abnormal streching of muscle or ligaments. Tingling in the fingertips could be due to irritation of nerve root.

Usually, it settles with rest, analgesic and muscle relaxants. You can consult your physiotherapy for rapid recovery.

If pain and tingling does not subside over 4-6 days, you can get yourself evaluated by X-ray/MRI spine under the guidance of spine surgeon to confirm the exact pathology/soft tissue injury.

I hope, I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.