Poor sperm motility. Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma and reduced testosterone production. Surgery advised. Will motility increase with HRT?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Hi My husband has been diagnosed with a pituitary adenoma which is inhibiting hormone production particularly testosterone. He has a high sperm count but very poor motility. He is awaiting surgery to remove the adenoma and due to start hormone replacement theraoy very soon which I understand will make him infertile. Will his motility increase initially with the HRT before the infertility occurs as we would like another baby?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 7 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Yes 30% of pitutary adenomas are prolactinomas and they do cause infertitlity

Endoscopic surgery is safe and result oriented

There are semen banks you may go for cryopreservation and you can go ahead with artificial insemination and conceive

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept my reply and rate it

Wishing Your Husband A Speedy Recovery

Follow-up: Poor sperm motility. Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma and reduced testosterone production. Surgery advised. Will motility increase with HRT? 17 hours later
I am told the testosterone replacement will make him infertile is this right?

HI

Thanks for your followup query

When Synthetic testosterone starts circulating in the body , it send signals to the brain and the natural production of testosterone is blocked

But in your case if the pitutary is being removed there are chances it will impair natural production of testosterone so any way he will need HRT

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries

Wishing Your Husband A Speedy Recovery