Polyps in intestine. Taking Statin, Amlodipine. History of heart attack and stroke. Can Plavix be taken as prevention?

Dear Dr. Hello,
Please tell me if it is right to take plavix as prevention , because both of my parent died of heart/brain stroke.
I am 64 now have no specific disease , I am treated with 10 mg. a day of statin (Pravalip) and 5 mg. a day of amlodipine. My doctor told me that because of finding polips (non cancer) in my intestine, it is not recommened for me to take aspirin.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 53 minutes later

Regarding the use of Plavix for prevention of Stroke and heart attack, Clopidogrel is only recommended as an option for people who have had a heart attack, if aspirin is contraindicated or not tolerated. Clopidogrel is not recomended for the treatment or prevention of transient ischaemic attacks/Stroke.

You do not have any history of Stroke/TIA or Heart attack in the past. You have major vascular risk factors like positive family history and Hypertension for stroke and Heart attack in the back ground of contraindication for Aspirin.

Though no recomendations exist about Plavix, I personally feel 75 mg of Plavix can be substituted in you for prevention.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Dr Shiva Kumar R.
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist