Polyp above anus, protrusion into anus, intestinal polyp, hemorrhoids

Male 53, 5' 10" 195 lbs. Hello,
This morning I was taking a shower and discovered a pea sized polyp right above my anus. It actually protrudes into my anus but is not large enough to actually causes any blockage. It is smooth and firm but not hard. There is no pain, discharge or discomfort, outside of now knowing it's there. I had a colonoscopy not quite 2 years ago. There were two small polyps that were benign. Is this temporary or something I should be concerned with?

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 5 hours later

The presenting of polyp kind of structure from the anus indicates the 2 possibilities:
1.intestinal polyp(which is present in rectum can protrude through the anus)

according to the description of the polyp the possibility of Haemorroids is less, which are usually painful and associated with bleeding.

Since there is past medical history of benign polyps, a recurrence is a possibility.

A rectal examination by the doctor can confirm the possible place of origin of the polyp , if required a repeat colonoscopy can be done .

If there is a family history of benign polyps a annual colonoscopy is essential to track the new polyps and progression in the older ones.

Only the colonoscopy report and the biopsy report can estimate the risk in these cases.

So i suggest you to undergo a rectal examination and the colonoscopy.

Hope this helps you.