Polycystic right ovary and endometriosis on left. Dr suggest Meprate. Is there any chances for conceiving ?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
i have a polycystic ovary on right ovary and endometriosis on left
ovary doctor suggest me to take meprate for 8 days now is their any
chances for me to conceive as i dont have period yet and this is my
35th day .Before that i dont have any problem after ultrasound doctor
find this problem.doctor also said if i get my periods then from my
5th day i have to start XXXXXXX tablets is it ok
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

the possible causes for your delayed periods are,

-poly cystic ovary syndrome can cause menstrual abnormalities and delayed period may be because of that,

-as you used meprate, which is a synthetic progesterone, after stopping the tablets it may take 5 to 7 days for onset of periods,

-pregnancy.

so now you consult your doctor undergo blood test for pregnancy,
if that comes positive you can proceed according to your wish,
if comes negative,
-with your doctor's advice you can wait for 3 to 4 days by that time you may get,
-then also if you do not get periods, then you can go for hormonal evaluation and thyroid profile,
-then treatment can be taken according to results.
XXXXXXX tablets are combined oral contraceptive pills which your doctor might have prescribed for the treatment of endometriosis, by using them natural cycle subsides and there is possibility for involution of endometriosis.
normally they should be started from 1st day of periods, so you confirm with your doctor once and follow her advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Polycystic right ovary and endometriosis on left. Dr suggest Meprate. Is there any chances for conceiving ? 20 hours later
thanku so much mam for such a nice advice today that is my 36th day i have my periods now i want to ask that doctor advice me XXXXXXX for 2 months is their any possibilities after that for my pregnancy or i have to go for laproscopy.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

-as I told XXXXXXX tablets are combined oral contraceptive pills, you can't get pregnant while using them as these tablets will subside ovulation,

after stopping them within few months(sometimes in immediate next cycle) ovulation will restart then,
the chances of pregnancy depends on,
-the extent of endometriosis and the percentage of cure,
-on severity of poly cystic ovary disease(PCOD).

in case of mild endometriosis and asymptomatic PCOD you can expect relief with two cycles of pills and there is chance of pregnancy,

after course of tablets you again visit your doctor undergo ultrasound then depending on the report she will advice you regarding the need for laparoscopy.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Polycystic right ovary and endometriosis on left. Dr suggest Meprate. Is there any chances for conceiving ? 21 hours later
Thanku so much mam now my last question is i m sending u my reports detail kindly tell me the extent of endometriosis and severity of pcod and also reply me that is their any chances after two months because i m trying to conceive from last one and half year and any side effects of XXXXXXX
right ovary measures 3.38x2.4x2.3cm and volume 10.4cc bulky in size with 10 to 12 immature follicle in right follicular cyst measure 16x14mm
left ovary have two cyst with low level XXXXXXX echoes within measuring 2.9x2.3.1.7cm volume 6.4cc and2.6x 2.5x2.4 volume 8.6cc . It also have cystic lesion 5.3x5.0x3.4cm and volume 48cc multiple immature follicles and left ovary appear adherant to lateral wall of uterus.
kindly send me your address and phone no to contact u

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

according to your scan findings,

Right ovary: slightly bigger in size probably because of presence of
-immature follicles: which are the characteristic feature of poly cystic ovarian disease,
-follicular cyst:it is indicating the dominant follicle,
severity of PCOD depends on the symptoms like,
Irregular periods or no periods,
Weight gain,
Hirsutism features etc.

left ovary:having two endometriotic cysts called endometriomas, with characteristic low level XXXXXXX echoes,
it is also having multiple immature follicles of PCOD.
and it is adherent to lateral wall of uterus may be because of adhesions caused by endometriosis.

with ultrasound alone we can't judge the extent of endometriosis,
roughly we can take it as moderately severe,
according to books endometriomas of more than 2cms size may not completely get cured with medicines alone,
I don't want to confuse you, just telling generally.

you can use tablets as your doctor recommended and she knows your condition better because she examined you,

side effects of XXXXXXX are,

-abdominal cramps,bloating sensation,
-changes in bleeding pattern of periods
-weight changes
-breast pain etc
But don’t worry these may not be seen in all.

so you use tablets for 2 months according to your doctor recommendation after that depending on findings further step can be taken, we hope for cure and pregnancy.
but be cautious about acute pain abdomen (which may occur because of rupture of cyst though rarely), then you have to visit doctor immediately.

you can ask me at "http://www XXXXXXX com/doctors/dr-sree-gouri-sr/0000".